Schools can be energy efficient and this will benefit the environment, climate and public economy. On the other hand schools can operate as training centers on energy efficiency for youngsters, students, teachers and parents. On this purpose, Wind of Renual/Anemos Ananeosis trains young people in energy saving issues and cooperates with municipalities in order to increase energy efficiency of their schools, as part of the project “YESclima – Young experts for climate friendly scholls in Mediteranian countries”.
Municipality of Agios Dimitrios, in Attica, has expressed its will to colaborate for this progect, and the first meeting took place at the municipality on Wednesday 10th of January, with the participation of:
– Mayor, Maria Androutsou
– Deputy mayor of technical services, Aggelos Gavalas
– Members from the Electical-mechanological Department of Municipality ms Olga Vlachou, Environmental Engineer Msc and Antonis Manolaros, Electrical Engineer.
– President of Wind of Renewal, Nikos Chrysogelos
– The first greek team of 4 young people who are being trained in energy saving issues, Ioannis Kotsalos, technician of heating, cooling and electrical systems, Agapi-Evagelia Tzampazi, Civil Engineer Msc, Sofia Papadopoulou, Energy Sources Msc and Dimitra Apostolopoulou, Engineer of Renovation and Restoration.
The topics of the meeting were:
– Description of the project that will be applied in five schools of Agios Dimitrios
– The participation of teachers and students in energy audits and energy saving proposals
– Collection of data needed to formulate the final proposals for reducing energy consumption and energy upgrading of selected schools
– Public environmental awareness actions with the participation of parents and the school community.
During the implementation of the project energy audits will be carried out in schools – that have been selected – jointly with students and teachers on the basis of a participatory methodology developed under the EUKI “Climate Schools Be.Ath“ project, in which Wind of Renewal is a partner. The energy audits will be carried out by the four trainees in colaboration with the educational communities of the schools. Following the audits, low, medium and high cost proposals for the energy upgrade of schools, will be drafted.
One of the main tasks of the project is the improvement of the quality of schools spaces and and the energy efficiency in educational buildings with the use of energy efficient and passive systems.
The municipality will collect information and data about schools that will help in energy audits and proposals, using a questionnaire especially drafted for the energy audits.
About the project “YESClima”
The project is being implemented by ‘Wind of Renewal’, University of Cadiz at Spain, Secretariat for Future Studies of Free University of Berlin and the APEC -Provincial Energy Agency of Cadiz, Andalusia. This project is part of the European Climate Initiative (EUKI) which is a financial instrument by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU). The EUKI competition for project ideas is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. It is the overarching goal of the EUKI to foster climate cooperation within the European Union (EU) in order to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions.’
The aims of the project are:
– Climate protection and energy saving
– Reduction of energy consumption and the ecological footprint of schools
– Education and training of young people in order to work in energy saving issues, natural heating and cooling systems.
– To familiarize young people with scientific – technical issues, economic issues, entrepreneurship and legislation on climate protection, and more specifically energy saving and energy inspections and interventions.
During the project “YESclima – Young experts for climate friendly schoolls in Mediteranian countries” 11 young people from Greece and 11 from Spain, organized in three groups, will have 6months theoritical and practical education so they can work in the energy saving sector and natural heating and cooling techniques in buildings.
Wind of Renewal will cooperate with the Municipality of Agios Dimitrios, the Municipality of Chania and the Municipality of Sifnos in the framework of this project. The trainees will apply their knowledge and experience in energy audits in a number school of these 3 municipalities, exploring forms of collaboration with students and educators, and conducting studies on what can be done in these schools in order to be upgraded and gradually convert to almost zero-emission buildings (Zero Emissions Buildings, as is now the case for building legislation).