On Sunday the 8th of March, the Wind of Renewal /Days of Welcommon family organized a visit to Glyfada at the sea turtle rescue centre «Archelon» and the beach just next to this centre. The group included volunteers, refugees and Welcommon Hostel guests – all one ‘family’.
We left the WELCOMMON Hostel at 1pm and we went to took the metro to Elliniko, then we took a bus to Glyfada to go to the Sea Turtle Rescue Centre. We had a short visit of the centre with some explanations about the turtles, how they are being injured and what the volunteers team is doing to take care of them 🐢. Sea turtles tend to get entangled in fishing gear and such incidents may often result to injuries or drowning. They may also fall victims to collisions with speed boats, especially near nesting beaches. Several cases of deliberately killed animals washed ashore are also reported from different sites.
The nationwide Rescue Network of ARCHELON is activated in cases of reports of injured or sick turtles or strandings of dead animals. The network is set up and supported through the organization of information events in cooperation with Port police authorities, fishermen, volunteers and environmentally active organizations. Injured or sick animals are transferred to the Sea Turtle Rescue Centre in Glyfada, near Athens. About 50 sea turtles are treated annually and when fully recovered, are released back to the sea. First aid Stations for sea turtles are set up in the areas of Rethymnon, Crete and Amvrakikos Gulf.
After the visit, we headed to the beach just next to the centre to do a little clean up, to enjoy the quietness of this place and to chat all together. It was a very pleasant moment 😉
We ended the day by going back to Syntagma square and wishing us a good evening. That was such a good day ! ☀️
FUNday trips are every Sunday 13:00 – 17:00, always meeting at Welcommon Hostel at 13:00. In the past, we’ve visited the Acropolis, had a picnic, and played football in a nearby park. Anybody is welcome, just come along to Welcommon Hostel on Sundays at 13:00.
#ErasmusPlus #volunteering #volunteers #socialinnovation #socialinclusion #empowerment #art #intercultural #withrefugees #EuropeanSolidarityCorps #GreenSocialInnovationESC #SocEnt #GoGreen #hostels #cooperatives #WelcommonHostel #WindofRenewal
You are certainly informed about the very difficult situation in the Greek hotspots on the Aegean islands of Lesbos, Chios and Samos for the refugees and migrants coming through Turkey mostly from Syria and Afghanistan. It is evident that apart from what European and national institutions should do, there is a task also for private organisations and individuals to do their best in order to guarantee to refugees the right to live in dignity, to participate in the social life and to be able to find a job. In this way, there are win-win solutions for all, the new-comers and local communities.
The social cooperative Wind of Renewal (Άνεμος Ανανέωσης) and the Welcommon Hostel, in Athens, Greece, are willing to contribute to the accommodation, empowerment, social inclusion, job integration for a number of persons in our place. We address this offer, to the most vulnerable persons (families, single / pregnant women, disable persons, victims of trafficking, torture and rape etc) and we are ready to collaborate with NGOs and refugees / migrants communities for the next months, until there is a clear situation. Despite the problems created by coronavirus, there are many people who would like to help also the vulnerable groups in a period of crisis. But we need support in order to be able to finance:
We need donors immediately to be able to support our “remain human-welcome” project. Donations of all sizes are welcome and necessary. You can also support us informing your social networks, friends, universities, through social media, real life social networks and all other communication channels. You can make donations now through our bank accounts:
– ANEMOS ANANEOSIS / WIND OF RENEWAL
Cooperative Bank of Karditsa
ΙΒΑΝ GR 7608900100003010003540200
Bank of Karditsa’ s BIC / Swift Code is STKAGRA1
– ANEMOS ANANEOSIS / WIND OF RENEWAL
IBAN: GR83 0172 0180 0050 1807 7868 253
Piraeus’s BIC code is PIRBGRAA
Please send us your details for the invoice and inform us if you are willing to publish your donation at our website for transparency reasons.
We remain at your disposal
Nikos Chrysogelos PolinaGkioka Apostolos Ioakimidis
Chairman of “Wind of Renewal” vice-president treasure of the board
About Wind of Renewal, WELCOMMON center for refugees and the WELCOMMON HOSTEL
Wind of Renewal social cooperative
The WELCOMMON HOSTEL
– Provide free language classes/intercultural courses for refugees and local Greeks
– Offer a rich program of inclusive cultural activities
– Support integration through music, art, comedy and film events
– Raise awareness of our next generation to tackle the climate crisis by training 200 teachers from 73 schools in Athens to harness the enthusiasm of over 3,000 students, in the frame of EUKI Climate Schools Be.Ath
– Support 11 young Greeks to gain professional qualifications in energy reduction and transition-creating social and ecological change holistically, in the frame of EUKI YESclima
– Are ready to engage and support any other project in line with our objective for social inclusion and climate action – from family picnics to seminars on the green economy and everything in between
Please find out more about the Hostel in:
– Welcommon Hostel: www.welcommonhostel.gr
– Welcommon Hostel in facebook: www.facebook.com/welcommonhostel
More about us:
– Welcommon, a model housing and social inclusion centre for refugees (9/2016-2/2018) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMBwqRxDotk&feature=youtu.be
What the refugees themselves and others told about the role of WELCOMMON
–Documentary “WorkingWithRefugeeCommunities in Greece”, by the “In place ofWar” (IPOW) in cooperationwith Anna LindhFoundation
–Bibiche, fromKongo, “Whatyoureallyknowaboutthe refugees”
–Beshir, fromSyria, “Whatyoureallyknowaboutthe refugees”
–Ghassan, from Syria, “Whatyoureallyknowaboutthe refugees”
– An article published by the e-newsletter «Cooperative.news»: «Taking steps to meet the long-term needs of refugees»
– Social change in our community: www.welcommonhostel.gr/social